When wine pioneer William Jacob settled down on a tiny piece of land next to an unnamed creek in the year 1840, he could never have imagined that the same piece of land would one day become a symbol of premium wines. Now, William Jacob’s small property has transformed into the Jacob’s Creek Visitor Centre, which is a world - renowned tourist spot. The Jacob’s Creek winery has taken it upon itself to look after the creek and its nearby regions. Neighbouring landowners as well as the Mount Lofty and Adelaide Ranges NRM Board helped the Jacob’s Creek winery in tackling the problem of weed infestation of the creek and the flood plains. In a short span of 20 years, these bodies have changed the look of the whole place. Remnant scrubs have regrown, native trees and plants have been replanted and the creek is teeming with native land and aquatic animal life.