Chard Farm was originally a market garden that was founded by the Chard family in the early - 1860s so as to provide food to local gold - miners who passed this facility on their way to Queenstown and Arrow town. In 1880, with the construction of the new bridge across Kawarau, the farm turned to cropping and dairying. It was sold off in the year 1979.
In 1987, Gerdi Schumann and Rob Hay bought the farm and planted the whole property with grapevines. In 1993, they constructed a winery on the estate and by 2003 had a barrel cellar and a pinot cuverie built as well. Today, this place produces some of the most fantastic wines in the region.